Cold Aston Village Church

It is almost certain that the first church in this parish was built about AD 904 when Werfrith Bishop of Worcester, gave land to his thegn, Wulfsig, here. Such gifts were usually connected with the building of a church. Fragments of Saxon stonework carved with bandwork and entwined serpents have been incorporated in the west wall of the 19th century porch (as has part of the 14th century piscina). Much of the stonework of the chancel wall would appear to be of Saxon origin. Even the ancient yew by the gate is probably at least 600 years old, its trunk having a girth of over 16 feet.

After 50 years of silence the peal of 5 bells was lovingly restored a few years ago. Members of the community have risen to the challenge and we now have our own band of ringers. You can hear them on fayre day.

The weekly services are designed to suit a wide range, with both Common Worship and the Book of Common Prayer being used at different services. There is a friendly atmosphere and everyone is welcome. Coffee is served after all morning services. There are close connections between the village school and church. Every weekday morning during term time, the school use the church for their daily assemblies, and occasionally the church is used to host school productions.

Church Inscriptions.

Church 2005 Annual Report.

Church 2006 Annual Report.

The South Doorway

The south doorway is Norman, embraced by slender columns with carved capitals. The simple tympanum has an arch enriched with rosettes, and the lintel with leaf and tendril motifs.

The Nave Walls

The nave walls are chiefly Norman and retain good portrait corbels of mediaeval men and women which still support the 19th century roof beams. The nave windows date from 13th and 15th centuries. There is a niche on the north wall which is a blocked up Norman doorway that led to the graveyard.

The Lofty Chancel

The lofty chancel arch dates from the restoration of the church in 1875. The east end of the chancel is windowless, a characteristic the church shares with some five others in Gloustershire. On this east wall is the remains of a 14th century stone reredos with niches and a moulded and embattled string course possibly moved from another nearby church during restoration. There is also the remains of an Early English pillar piscina and a small trefoil credence shelf in the splay of the south-east window. In the north wall is an Easter Sepulchre made from part of a 14th century niche placed within the splay of a blocked up narrow Norman window (visible on the outside).

Cold Aston Village Church

 

North Wall Of The Nave

On the north wall of the nave is an elaborate monument to Giles Carter, a former Lord of the Manor and benefactor who died in 1664. It was made by Reeve of Gloucester.

West End Of The Nave

At the west end of the nave, another lofty arch opens to the 15th century tower, with tiercone vault springing from the sides with supporting winged angels and with decorated pendentives at the corners. At the north side of the tower arch is a memorial to a former vicar, Samuel Ellyot who died in 1667.

The Perpendicular Tower

The perpendicular tower has diagonal buttresses which become straight on the top stage and there is a Tudor doorway on the west face surmounted by a masonry tripart window. The masonry of the nave is mainly Norman with a Tudor parapet. In the north wall is a blocked up Norman doorway with a badly weathered tympanum. The chancel has a high-pitched roof with a chamfered stringcourse on the east wall and blocked up Norman window on the north wall.